Monday, April 10, 2017

G and H are for Glamour Haute

It's the springtime. It's April and my A to Z writing challenge brings me to talk about fashion and style. 

I love Fashion. I love style. And I once thought that I was a very fashionable lady. 






It was at a family gathering where everybody was supposed to dress up with the most fabulous of the threads in their closets when my cousin busted my bubble.  Since I was a little girl, I was married to the idea that dresses were my best friend and so, I put a really, nice one on and was ready to go.

You have turned my mourning into 
joyful dancing.

You have taken away my clothes 
of mourning
and clothed my with joy
– (Psalm 30:11).

I got to the party and everybody was decked out. Men were in tuxes. The ladies were wearing beautiful dresses. And the kids, looking as fresh and clean as a congregation in any given church on Easter Sunday.

I thought I was dressed nice. Whenever I go shopping, I gravitate towards certain looks and feel really good about it when I take it home with me and am able to wear it for a night out. 

Such was the case that day. And then it happened. My cousin looked at me and said that I dress like an old lady. My sister said it too and the though stuck with me ever since; and so did the comments. They followed me everywhere I went with people telling me to dress a little younger and to look a little more sexy and my age.

I continued on with the styles I liked. I appreciated wearing dresses and would wear the ones that fit me nice and that had a unique pattern that was flattering to me.

Reality really clattered down on me the other day though. I was watching a news report on television which featured a crowd of elderly people celebrating at a party and there it happened. I saw the women wearing styles and dresses, similar to what I love to wear.


The observed is somewhat separate from that he sees
David Brooks


I once thought that I had a great eye for trends before but have I really been dressing a bit old for my age? Could it be the stores I was shopping at or simply the styles that were available to me that caught my attention? Should I have been that affected by the critical feedback I was given about how I dress? All I know is that ever since this new way of seeing myself popped its cherry, I have been a little bit more conscious and have been trying my best to shift things around. I mean, what better time than the springtime to try something different!

I won’t call it out with the old and in with the new because at the end of the day, I am still me and I feel comfortable wearing certain styles, including my hair as wild as it is without taming, combing or doing anything to it but letting it be; wet and go. This weekend however, I changed up my look and tried different styles which I never have, trying to apply a bit of a younger appeal. Here is a recap!

 
I tried ripped, skinny jeans with a floral jacket
and actually wore sexy heeled, open-toed mini boots
for an entire evening without taking out my backup flats that I usually wear.
The flower in my hair was in honor of Billie Holiday
who was known for wearing gardenias in her hair
and would have celebrated her 102nd birthday
this past weekend. 

Midi dress . It is somewhat fitted
and I am someone who enjoys a little room and loose-fitted gear.
I am a big teary-eyed person for flowers
and the flowers on it made me love this dress. 

Pinned up my hair on one side to tame the fro a bit. 

Normally I would see heels and say no.
I have to stand on stage with heels on for the duration of the time.
But I love the multi-colored style.
Nice heels. Nice strap. 

I am used to dresses that hit just past the knee most of the time
and rarely ever have my shoulders out
but I thought that this was 
such a pretty pattern for spring and tried it.
Very flattering! 
Two corn twists with a bang to compliment the dress.  


In life, shift happens. Thank God that my family, though their shared opinion was harsh, affected me positively. "I am Changing"  in every way. 

27 comments:

  1. You look amazing. I have no fashion sense at all. A goo pair of jeans a tee is all I need to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good pair of jeans. Yup. You are right.

      Delete
  2. I'm not really sure at what age a lady becomes an 'old lady' but I think older women tend to dress more comfortably. Comfortable doesn't have to mean giving up style. Fashion is fabulous these days! I like to be comfortable and look nice too. There are some words in a country music song that says "her favorite dress is her favorite blue jeans" I always think you look nice in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I am actually liking all the new styles out there.

      Delete
  3. You look beautiful in all of these! And as a Billie Holiday fan I'm loving the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always look amazing and all of the dresses are pretty. I really love the floral jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. Very uplifting and motivating for me.

      Delete
  5. I love the ripped jeans. My favorite clothing item is ripped jeans - but I also love your heels. It's sometimes fun to try new styles - but you have to be true to yourself, no matter what others think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too. They actually made me feel sexy which was good.

      Delete
  6. I have no fashion sense at all LOL!! I love those heels! And I love that first picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I try to think I do. I am also trying to revamp my look. It's a great time for it.

      Delete
  7. I love those two tone heels! The black and white looks so sleek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo those heels are calling my name! Love the print to with the words inside the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great no matter what you're wearing! I wish people would stop judging others and worry about themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great. Sometimes we do have to adjust but I like that you still stayed true to your style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well you don't dress like an "old lady" any more! I think you look fantastic and have a great sense of style! Come help ME shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your current style! We all have that questionable style from the past that we thought was so good at the time. I think with getting older comes more comfort in who we are and we know what works for our bodies which helps us get a better personal style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's awesome that you know what you like and are comfortable wearing. It's great to try out new things if it's for YOU, but stay true to yourself- that's what will make a style "your" signature look. Those dresses are fabulous- and I think you looked awfully sweet as a dressed up little girl. My older daughter will be 4 soon and we let her have pretty free reign with her style, I love seeing what she comes up with that is uniquely "her"- layering shirts worn as skirts over leggings with a dress on top- why not?! Do what feels good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely enjoy trying out new things to see if it is for me.

      Delete
  14. I think you look great in either style, but the bottom line is that you have to like it. If you're comfortable, it doesn't matter what other people think. Just be you.

    ReplyDelete