Thursday, October 9, 2014

Where in the world is "Brillo?"

I'll never forget my mama parting my hair in two sections to do cornrows. She would gently comb out all the knots and kinks and neatly style it, making it look beautiful; well to me anyway. 


See, when I was younger and getting caught up into the meanness of my peers, I would believe them when they were making fun of my hair and teasing me, calling me "Brillo." But that was then when I found reasons to hate the hair I had and desired to be someone other than the naturally beautiful person God blessed me to be. 


Now, I heart my hair and there is nothing that can change my mind. To all those who recently told me 


- "you need to get a perm!"

- "I like your hair better straight!"

- "why did you go back to natural?"


Thank God that I grew confident enough to love who I am. Thank God I'm natural!

 I'm now two years back into the natural journey and here we are again doing those same styles my mom used to do in my hair. 




I would call these corn rows; or corn twists. Easy to do. I applied grapeseed oil for moisture and massaged it into my hair and a little protein gel to my edges, brushed as opposed to combing and voila. Moisturized and neatly coiffed in a protective style.


I'm loving the learning of my own hair. What a journey! 


Great day everyone.  :) 

6 comments:

  1. You have lovely hair. Glad you figured that all out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natural is always better and it's nice you are happy with how God made you. I think we all have to find that place at some point in our lives. Loved your post today. Stopping by from mama kats kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Glad it finally came to be a part of who I am in my today. Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my post. :)

      Delete