Thursday, September 11, 2014

Oh Honey! (All up in my Hair)

There is a first time for everything and if you never try new things, you will never try anything new. 

Natural Hair Journey

My natural hair journey has definitely got me trying new things. I got my first perm at 13 years old and prior to that, my mother was combing my hair, so I never really started learning my own hair without a perm in it until now. 

Oh Honey!



I am always exploring different natural hair blogs and follow a few natural hair boards on Pinterest to get ideas about treating my own hair. That's how I came across a treatment using honey and since I heard so much about honey treatments, I decided that I wanted to try one on my own. My goal was having softer and more manageable hair.

I took a tablespoon of honey and added olive oil to it. So many boards talked about adding oil to conditioners for softness of hair. I combined the two ingredients and microwaved it so I could make it a hot oil-honey treatment and applied it to my hair and left it in for about an hour under a clear shower cap. 

After I rinsed it out, I was happy because my hair was soft and really manageable. That is until . . . 

My hair started bunching up in different areas. I kept getting all these knots that can only be removed with hair falling out. And this happened for the rest of the afternoon, until I got back in the shower and did a new cowash and finally, my hair was in good condition.

Trying New Things

Nothing wrong with trying new things because you never know if it will be great or not so great for your hair unless you try it. My advice, make sure you wash treatments out very well or you might face the possibility of losing hair. 

I am however excited. Besides the honey thing, I realize how much moisture my hair needs and after two years of not perming, finally; soft!!! 



Natural hair is all about discovering and learning about the beauty of your own hair. 

8 comments:

  1. Your hair looks quite cute in the bottom picture.
    Yeah, sometimes the Pinterest things don't pan out. I read this Pinterest about just washing your face with like coconut oil. The claims were fantastic. So I gave it a try. My skin fairly exploded in clogged pores. Nope. Back to my old skin care routine. Took two weeks to clear it up. (rolls eyes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I realize that now. Thank you for that. :)))

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you got your hair back! It's fun to try new things, but better if they work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So true. I'm learning that.

      Delete
  3. I have the white girl version of natural curl. It is course and tends to get very dry. I think I will try this. Thanks. ~May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! So what do you use to moisturize? I could surely use dome tips if you have any to share.

      Delete
  4. Whatever you're doing, it's working! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete